Visas for GPs
The Visas for GPs initiative will direct Overseas Trained Doctors into areas in need of primary healthcare medical practitioners. The objective of the initiative is to redirect overseas trained doctors from areas that are well serviced, to areas that have lower access to services such as rural, remote and regional areas of Australia.
This initiative applies to the following Australia and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations codes and visas:
253111 General Medical Practitioner,
253112 Resident Medical Officer,
253999 Medical Practitioner not elsewhere classified.
482 Temporary Skills Shortage
Subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme
Subclass 187 Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme
If you intend to hire an International Medical Graduate (IMG) or Overseas Trained Doctor (OTD) the practice will need to obtain a Health Workforce Certificate
The application form can be downloaded here:
Complete the from and apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
OR please call Trust Medical Recruitment for a consult and we can apply on your behalf and manage your case along with the recruitment process.
It is important that we are involved so we can also manage your advertising campaign, recruitment needs and put forward available candidates.
To get the process perfectly inSync.
What you need to know
- Processing time is 5-10 business days.
- Health Workforce Certificate are valid for 3 months without a Doctor being allocated to the certificate, it can be applied for with just the practices information.
- You will then be provided with a ‘certified pending practitioner details’ (practitioner details need to be provided prior to the Employer Sponsored Nomination application).
- Once you have found a suitable Doctor/IMG and a contract has been signed – you can add their name to your Health Workforce Certificate to get a 3 month extension.
- A Health Workforce Certificate will need to be valid at the time of applying for a 482 Visa nomination. Without one you will not be approved and risk losing the application fee.
- Practices located in Modified Monash Model 1 and 2 are less likely to be approved.
- Practices located in Modified Monash Model 3- 7 are likely to be approved.
- You cannot provide supporting documents at this stage. Applications will be assessed according to the Program Guidelines (link below) as developed by the Department of Health and will use the Department of Health’s Assessment Tool to ensure the process is effective, transparent, and consistent with relevant legalisation and regulatory frameworks.
- A Health Workforce Certificate will only be provided where the position responds to genuine workforce need as determined by the Assessment Tool.
- Health Workforce Certificates are valid for a period of 3 months from the date of issue. Some positions are eligible for automatic or expedited certification.
For more information on obtaining a Visa, working and skilled visas visit the Department of Home Affairs website.
Information has been taken from the website: http://www.visasforgps.com.au/